‘Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice’ – Will Durant –
Geology is study of the Earth……………… a fascinating subject indeed.
Geology deals with the Earth and its components – primarily rocks and minerals. Geologists focus on various processes operating within and outside the Earth and its effects on a regional and global scale. Earth’s resources are studied, explored and assessed by geologists. Natural hazards namely earthquake, landslide, flood, volcanic eruption and tsunami are best analyzed and understood by geologists. This branch of science study rivers, deserts, oceans, glaciers and mountains apart from rocks, minerals and fossils. Evolution of the Earth and its fauna and flora through time is part of geology.
The B. Sc. Geology curriculum is designed to:
- provide basic knowledge of different branches of Geology at graduate level.
- understand the Earth and its various processes – both external and internal – that shape it.
- know and study minerals and rocks primarily as components of the Earth and also as its resources
- assess natural resources of the Earth’s namely water, minerals, rocks, ores, coal and oil as a prelude to extract these for benefit of mankind.
- realize the threat of natural disasters and work out ways to mitigate its effects.
- Recognize the Earth as an environmental realm and chalk out plans for conserving it.
The Department of Geology in this college was established in 2015 and offers B.Sc. Geology Program (Model 1), under affiliation to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.
Students of this Department scored several ranks including 2nd & 3rd ranks consecutively in 2018 and 2019.
|Batch||Year of completion||Name||Rank|
|Mahesh K. Nair||X|